Thursday, June 30, 2016

not so beautiful.

I have to laugh.  The universe has a very funny way of messing with your plans.  This morning was one of those moments. 

I went to NYC for the past few days with a dear friend of mine and my cousin.  While there we there we went to see Beautiful.  It is a play on Broadway about Carole King's life.  I love King's music and how I didn't know this play existed is beyond me.  It was fabulous, amazing, and beautiful.  Her life was just incredible.  The tile of the play is based on of one of her songs "Beautiful."  It really struck a cord with me.  As I listened to it on the drive home, I thought to myself...this is how I am going to try to start my day every morning..."You've got to get up every morning with a smile on your face, And show the world all the love in your heart." 

This is not how I woke up this morning.

What there was on my face this morning was anger.  Anger at my children.  Anger at my husband.  Anger at myself.  Lack of sleep, a spilled drink all over the mattress, cat vomit on the floor, and much defiance over clothes/shoes/diapers/breakfast.  And it all began at 545am. 

It deeply upsets me when the day starts out this way for my family.  I struggle with getting mad and angry with the kids.  I am left with a feeling of deep regret when I yell.  I know it is normal and that it happens to everyone, but it is still hard.  I really try to work towards peaceful parenting and not letting myself escalate when shit hits the fan, but sometimes shit really does hit the fan....then splatter everywhere, ricochet, and deeply embed itself into every nook and cranny.

There is always tomorrow.  


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the song. Love her, too. Hugs to you, mama. I'm right there with you with the yelling. We are aware of it and we try. We do our best, which is usually good enough and sometimes awesome!

    ReplyDelete