Saturday, October 3, 2009

Some Maybe Don'ts and Some Definite Dos

My week in a nutshell.

Maybe Dont...
1. Maybe dont give a woman who is in preterm labor with twins two "top-offs" of epidural medication, and then re-insert a new epidural catheter with even more medication. Outcomes = high spinal with bad side effects including trouble swallowing and difficulty breathing
2. Maybe listen to a woman when she looks you directly in the eye and says "something is wrong"
3. Maybe allowing a woman to VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) after a poor obstetrical history, including 2 c-sections, 2 vacuum-assisted deliveries, 1 forceps delivery, and one failed forceps delivery, is not the best idea. And lets not forget an estimated fetal weight of 9lbs.
4. Maybe dont diet and loose weight during pregnancy. IUGR (intrauterine growth restricted) babies are no joke.

Definitely Do...
1. Do trust women
2. Do take lower uterine segment pain (with an epidural) seriously
3. Do believe that a first time mom can show up at the hospital 10cm dilated and only push for 20 minutes
4. Do prepare yourself for 4 deliveries in one shift
5. Do know that a 13th time mom (yes, I said 13) can have a quick induction of labor process, even if the last one took 2 days
6. Do trust that I can help to deliver twins!
7. Do learn how to explain things in the most simple, clear, and concise fashion

Yes. My week in a nutshell. It has been a busy one with lots of crazy stories and lots of sleepless nights. I learned a lot this week and found out how much I love normal birth. I had a mom this week, who was new to midwifery care...not new to birth, as she had 6 other children at home...who told my preceptor and I how great midwifery care was. She felt so supported and when she thought she couldnt do it anymore having us there got her through. Awesome. Makes everything worth it.

On another note. My yoga practice is struggling. I have had two 24 hrs shifts in a row, with no time to practice. I miss my yoga community. Period. End of story. Still looking for the strawberry in all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment