Saturday, January 3, 2015

Crazy

I had full intentions of re-starting my blogging on New Years Day. I was going to put the kids to bed, make a cup of coffee and write....oh how the road to hell is paved with good intentions. My kids have been sick this past week with a GI bug and then bad colds, leading to a not so good night of trying to get them to sleep and keep them asleep. My 5 month old son is already a bad sleeper, combine that with being sick, and needless to say everyone was not snug in their beds till 11:30! That sleepless night was then followed by another sleepless night on-call at the hospital.

 Let me start by saying I don't think that I have anything crazy or interesting that is out-of-this-world worth blogging about, but I need an avenue to write and journaling has never stuck with me (although I do love to buy them:). As I have said in a previous post back in 2011, I was told by a healer in India that I should write. That it would be good for me. After the visit with him I took none of his advice. After my dad passed away suddenly from a heart attack with no history of heart problems (of which the healer said he had issues with his heart) and after I recently was diagnosed with Celiac disease (after he told me to stop eating wheat), I am taking those two signs as a chance to actually listen to what he said. Thank god I wrote it all down!

 I am a mother of two wonderful children, age 2 1/2 and 5 months, who suck all my energy...but I love every minute of it (well, except at 3am when I cannot get the baby to sleep...that I could do without). I recently went back to my job as a full-time midwife after a very nice 4 month maternity leave. The transition has been difficult, as we have a new medical record system, and I feel like I have to tape my eyelids open to not fall asleep at my desk. I love what I do and the women that I work with, but I definitely have days where I cry in the car after I drop my kids off at daycare.

The main focus of this blog is going to be centered around my family's New Year's resolution. We made a commitment to living a healthier life in 2015. My husband and I are notoriously bad at keeping our resolutions, so we decided to make it more broad and work on it from many angles. This resolution is not specific to "body health", although that is part of it. We want to be healthier in all that we do-- mind, body and spirit. We have talked about some ways this will happen:

Hopefully get into our new home
Start our own veggie gardens
Get bees and make our own honey
 Eat better and more "whole"-some foods
Get more involved politically
Dance and smile more
Go hiking
Really really try to get back to the yoga mat
Spend more time together as a family

Those are just a few ideas. I am hoping it will evolve organically and create a lot of fun along the way. In going with the blog name, I am also going to try to name 1 positive thing from the day...the strawberry. So today my strawberry is that I was able to leave the hospital a little early this AM and get home by 8am to see my family.

Until tomorrow!

Currently reading: Cuckoo's Calling (and also reading The Sleep Lady's Good Night, Sleep Tight...can you tell I am desperate to get my baby to sleep?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment